Someone recently posted the rhetorical question, “What do vegans even eat?” The answer is, “pretty much anything they want!” Almost any of my favorite recipes can be modified to be vegan. This simple and delicious peach cobbler is one example of how to modify a recipe.
The original recipe goes like this: preheat your oven to 350°F. Once the oven is preheated, place one stick of butter into the bottom of a 2 quart casserole baking dish. Place that baking dish into the oven, so that the butter can melt. While the butter is melting, make a mixture consisting of 1 cup self rising flour, 1 cup sugar, and 1 cup of milk. Once the butter is melted and hot (but not burnt), pour the batter mixture on top of it so that it is spread evenly through the pan. Then, immediately after the mixture has been poured, layer 1 quart of sliced peaches over the top of the batter, spreading them evenly. After the ingredients for the cobbler have been thusly assembled, place it into the 350° oven and bake for between 45 minutes to an hour, until it is golden brown on top.
So … How to modify this recipe to make it vegan? Substitute appropriate vegan ingredients. In place of butter, there are any number of appropriate margarine products on the market. In place of milk, there are several choices: soy milk, oat milk, rice milk, and almond milk are good examples. I use almond milk in this recipe, because the almond flavor is a nice complement to the peaches.
Hence, here is a summary of the vegan ingredients:
- 1 quart of freshly sliced peaches, coated with sugar
- 1/2 cup vegan margarine
- 1 cup sugar
1 cup self rising flour
1 cup almond milk
Here are the vegan instructions:
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Place 1/2 cup margarine in bottom of 2 quart baking casserole dish
- Place casserole dish in oven log enough to allow margarine to completely melt
- While margarine is melting, combine the milk, sugar, and flour, blending with a whisk
- After margarine is melted and hot, pour the batter mixture into it, spreading evenly over the bottom of the casserole dish.
- Next, lay the sliced peaches on top of the batter, spreading them evenly through the pan.
- Place the pan in the oven, and bake at 350°F for between 45 minutes and one hour, until the top of the casserole is golden brown and the edge of the batter has separated slightly from the dish during the baking process.
Serve with a vanilla flavored frozen dessert or whipped topping. (Vanilla Rice Dream is a good choice.) I also like mine with decaf coffee! Delish!! 😀