2 January 2010
I was clearing my desk off (New Year’s Cleaning) and found this recipe. I didn’t make it this season, so I’m just going to type what I wrote last year.
- 10 buttery crackers (like Ritz brand)
- 2 packs of frozen broccoli (or 2 lbs fresh)
- 1/2 onion or shallot
- 1/4 cup vegan mayonnaise (e.g. "Follow Your Heart" brand veganaise)
- 4 oz. shredded rice cheese, cheddar flavor (e.g. Galaxy International Foods brand Cheddar flavor "pasteurized process cheese food alternative")
- 1 can sliced water chestnuts
- 1/2 cup oat milk (may substitute non-sweetened soy milk)
- 2/3 cup white flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 vegan mushroom soup (e.g. Imagine brand Portobello Mushroom soup)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Microwave or steam broccoli and onions together until the broccoli is tender enough to smash it with a fork (about 6 minutes). Remove from heat and smash with a fork.
Mix oat milk, mushroom soup, salt, pepper, and flour together. Use a wire whisk to mix and get all the lumps out of the mixture. Place this over medium heat, stirring frequently. There are two objectives to stirring: (1) make sure the mixture doesn’t burn on the bottom, and (2) make sure it cooks evenly so that the flour doesn’t clump together and form lumps.
When mixture has thickened, stir in the shredded cheese gradually, allowing it to melt.
Once cheese has melted and the mixture is like a thick gravy, add the broccoli and onion mixture. Then, add in the water chestnuts. Stir gently so that the mixture is uniform.
Pour the mixture into a casserole dish. Last thing, crush the cracker crumbs and sprinkle the crumbs on top of the casserole as a garnish.
Heat at 350 degrees Fahrenheit until hot, or about 30 minutes. (Since there are no eggs, the casserole will not thicken any additional amount; the purpose of heating is just to heat it and brown the top a bit.)